PRIP TRIP: HAIGHT ASHBURY, SAN FRANCISCO, CA


Haight Ashbury Landmark
Photo Credit: Chelsea Byers



[Day] Trippin' in the Haight

As any true flower child should, I felt it absolutely necessary to pay homage to Haight Ashbury. My own personal hajj to this not-so-holy land included just two bus rides and a short walk. I can assure you  that I have, and will be making this pilgrimage multiple times. 

Noted and revered for the role it played in the 1960s hippie movement, the Haight is a haven for the left-over, rock and roll, drug culture hippie burn-outs, providing an interesting dynamic for an afternoon stroll. The Haight Ashbury district, named for the intersection of Haight Street and Ashbury Street, encompasses more than ten blocks of stores, coffee shops, and restaurants, and draws hundreds to the streets daily.




The walls in Haight Ashbury are very colorful and vibrant, echoing the life of the district.
Photo Credit: Chelsea Byers
 

Between the beads, the tie dye and the endless shelves of hippie memorabilia, getting lost in the shops of the Haight is an adventure in itself. More than once I have found myself seemingly trapped in one of many vintage clothing shops, scrambling to find the means to purchase a hand-crafted piece of hippie couture from the flower days that I cannot live without. Thankfully, the selection of second-hand stores is to die for. Crossroads (a SF favorite) and Buffalo Exchange are just a few that I have found myself rummaging through. While I haven't found the gall to splurge, I have yet  to leave the Haight without a new bumper sticker proclaiming "Peace and Love" or "Make Art Not War" for the car that I do not have in the city. Pointless as my purchases may be, I am always satisfied.

When I need to catch a second wind, the Haight provides many options for a cup of Jo. Coffee to the People, and the People's Cafe are amongst the best, both providing a relaxing space to chill out. Despite its small land space, the Haight can get overwhelming between the amounts of people in the streets, all the things to look at, and all the places to spend your money. Though it is nothing compared to its peak in the 60s (I say it like I was there), the Haight exists as a tribute to all things peaceful and loving. You bring your love to the Haight, and go to the Haight to love. It's that simple.

-Chelsea Byers, Staff Writer